We spent Tuesday night in a campground at the edge of a highway construction project.
As soon as darkness fell, the floodlights were fired up and the heavy equipment started.
It looked like the set of Close Encounters at Devil’s Tower. When the fog settled in it became surreal, as the bright lights glinted off the water droplets in the air.
They packed up and left at first light.
Our ride out of Stowe was on a busy highway with multiple tirebiters:
1) a linear crack in the pavement, parallel to your direction of travel, sometimes made worse in hot weather if filled with tar;
2) a sewer grate with openings parallel to the direction of travel;
3) a railroad crossing with tracks at an oblique angle (the closer to the direction of travel, the worse it is).
The best (worst) tirebiters and alligators were in places unsafe to stop for photos. An alligator is an area of pavement that resembles alligator skin.
Once we got onto back roads the ride improved immensely. We did briefly revisit US 2, last seen out west. It sprinkled off and on much of the day. The most rain came while the sun was shining.
Stuff that will change next week:
1) I won’t have to worry about where I can plug my phone in next;
2) I won’t have to wonder where the next bathroom is or where there is a tree or secluded place where I can pee;
3) I won’t have any yellow arrows to follow to tell me where to go;
4) I won’t have to worry about getting into camp early enough to spread everything out to dry;
5) I’ll have to cook my own food;
6) I won’t be able to eat so much ice cream;
7) I’ll have to make my own coffee;
8) I won’t drink as much espresso or beer;
9) I won’t do laundry in the shower every day;
10) I’ll go to work every day instead of riding my bike.
11) I won’t check the weather forecast for two cities every morning – the one I’m riding from and the one I’m riding to.
12) I won’t go looking for WiFi or worry about exceeding my data limits.
13) I won’t be writing this every day.
The WiFi here is intermittent. The login screen keeps popping up again. Saving of this post only works some of the time and photos appear and disappear at random. I will try to post this, but publishing has failed three times now.